
By Babak Kardan
Sundar is a farmer who has just bought 10 acres of farmland in the hills. The land is below a forest. And the area is very green with plenty of rainfall. On his new land, Sundar has a spring which gives pure, fresh water all through the year. This water flows down the hill, to other farms, eventually becoming a river that provides water to many villages further down in the valley.
Sundar plans to grow rice on his new farm. He is preparing a list of chemicals that he needs to purchase, to use on his land. He has a neighbour, Rajesh, who grows his crops naturally, without any chemicals. This is how his ancestors used to farm, and Rajesh learned this method from his grandfather.
One day Rajesh comes and visits his new neighbour, and looks at the list Sundar has prepared. He asks Sundar,
“Why don’t you also grow your rice naturally, like I do? You don’t need to use all of these chemicals. I will share all of my knowledge with you.”
“Why?” asks Sundar. “Doesn’t using chemicals make my rice grow bigger, and faster too? And if I spray the rice with some insecticides, then insects and diseases won’t affect my crop. I have three children, and I have to save up for their future, so I have to make a lot of money.”
“I understand”, says Rajesh. “That is also how most people think around here. But these chemicals are toxic, they pollute the water and soil, and eventually they will destroy the land itself. Once the river is polluted, everyone using the water downstream will fall ill, and even the doctors can’t cure them.”
“But everyone else is using these chemicals on their fields. So I don’t think that one more person like me using chemicals will make a difference to these people, anyway.” said Sundar.
“Look at it this way” said Rajesh, “by living a simple life, you will be able to support your family by natural farming. True, you won’t become rich, but you will manage your life.
“When we put chemicals on our land, the soil becomes weak, and loses its health. After some years, it is so poor that crops will not grow well on it. But by natural farming, the soil becomes more and more healthy every year. It will be strong and it will give food for a long time. One day, our children will inherit our land from us. Do we want to leave them a dry, barren soil, or do we want to leave them healthy soil which will give them nutritious food? Sundar, we teach our children our customs and values so they will benefit from these later in their own lives. Similarly, should we not leave them a healthy land, which they will benefit from later on also?
“Think about it, Sundar. Each one of us can make a difference for our community. I think you have to decide, what are your priorities in your life, spending your time and energy just for yourself and your family, or living in a way that benefits everyone in your community, even if it means making some sacrifice.”
Rajesh left Sundar to decide what to do.
_____________________________________________________________________
Questions:
1. Do you agree with Sundar’s reasons for using chemicals on his farm?
2. Do you think Rajesh’s ideas are realistic in today’s society?
3. What would you do if you were in Sundar’s situation? Expl
No comments:
Post a Comment